The Metro Academy of Health at SF State is our most mature program. Metro helps students build momentum because 100% of core classes satisfy graduation requirements for associate’s and bachelor’s degrees—regardless of whether classes are taken at a community college or university. Metro puts students on a clear, fast track to graduation and success.
As shown below, students show sharply improved persistence over four semesters:
Early data shows that Metro students earned a significantly higher GPA, with an average GPA of 3.04 (vs. 2.77 of a matched comparison group, p=.008). They earned 28.53 units in their first year—almost two more units than the comparison group’s 26.58.
Using survey data from the National Survey of Student Engagement, Metro students were statistically significantly more engaged than a matched comparison group on many measures including:
- Twice as likely to report having a faculty mentor
- Having received academic advising
- Feeling more supported academically and able to cope with non-academic responsibilities(work, family, etc.)
- Feeling capable of solving real-world problems and of contributing to the welfare of their communities;
- Working outside of class in groups with other students.