Working in Groups
About this Skill
This lesson plan deals with three types of small group activities:
- Classroom activities, where students work to discuss ideas, solve a problem or review each other’s work;
- Group projects, where students work together outside of class to prepare a project or paper (usually in groups that the instructor sets up); and
- Study groups, where students help each other with homework and exams, usually choosing their own group members.
This module contains two lesson plans that prepare students to work with a group. Students will be able to:
Work with a Group
- Discuss group members’ needs and build agreements on how to best work together.
- Describe how to handle common types of group challenges.
- Explain how their group project will be evaluated.
- Describe the purpose of a study group.
- Describe different ways to form and run a study group.
- Describe common issues that can arise in study groups, and ways to address them.
Working with a Group – Total time: 50 minutes
- Introduction/Discussion – 10 minutes
- Activity – Setting Up Agreements – 15 minutes
- Discuss Activity, Handling Problems – 20 minutes
- Discuss Evaluating the Project – 5 minutes
Study Groups– Total time: About 60 minutes (if students read in class)
- Introduction/Discussion – 5 minutes
- Study Group Activity – 50 minutes
– Instructions – 5 minutes
– Small Group Work – 20 – 25 minutes (including reading)
– Reporting Out/Discussion – 20 minutes